Operation Stack lorry park victory!

November 15, 2017

Shepway Green Party is delighted at today’s news that the Operation Stack lorry park, planned for 250 acres of farmland near the village of Stanford, has been scrapped. The Department of Transport (DfT) has said it will not contest the imminent judicial review. This is a massive u-turn and a great victory for everyone who campaigned against it.

Martin Whybrow, the Green Party’s Kent County Councillor (right, at one of the demos in Hythe) who has vocally opposed the scheme from the start, says: “This logistically flawed monstrosity has ultimately proven to be impossible to defend by the DfT. How much time and resources have been wasted and how much stress has this caused local residents?”

It would have cost £250m and was a knee-jerk reaction to extreme events in Summer 2015, with no repeat of Operation Stack since then. There was little or no consideration of alternatives, woeful consultation with residents, and no reassurances about aspects such as air pollution and environmental damage.

Martin adds: “The campaigners were so well organised from the start, their arguments were compelling and this scheme should never have seen the light of day. All those involved should be very proud of their efforts.”

Here is how Paul Francis at KentOnline broke the news: http://www.kentonline.co.uk/hythe/news/lorry-park-plan-axed-135315/



Archive